Our City Larder premium sauces are created at City Larder HQ by our team of skilled chefs using only top-notch ingredients. All sauces begin with a house made veal stock, simmered for 24 hours to bring out that rich, long-lasting flavour and a silky mouthfeel. Red Wine Sauce blends veal stock, red wine, aromatic vegetables, herbs and spices with brandy, and port.
Chef Robbie Bell gives you his top cooking tips for the guaranteed steak deliciousness: start with generously seasoning your steak with salt, add the steak to a pan that is good and hot, leave it to cook and get some colour before turning over, and finally, let it rest before serving.
We recommend serving this with Hawkers Beer Pilsner
- Rib eye steak ∼900g
- Olsson’s Salt sea salt flakes
- 2 medium-large potatoes, skin on, cut in 2cm square dice (red-skinned Desiree preferably)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed
- 1 jar City Larder Red Wine Sauce
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- sprig rosemary
- Remove the meat from the fridge 20 minutes ahead of time. Season the steak well and set to one side.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil then add potatoes and cook on a medium heat until just tender then drain well.
- Heat a frying pan until hot then drizzle steak with oil and lay it gently in the frypan away from you so it doesn’t splatter. Sear the steak 4-5 minutes on both sides, as well as along the edges, basting with the pan juices as you go. You’re looking to cook it to medium-rare, though it will be rewarmed just before serving. Remove from the pan and set aside to rest.
- Steam or lightly boil the broccolini for several minutes until it has turned a darker green and stems are tooth tender. At the same time, you can add the jar of Red Wine Sauce into a small saucepan to gently warm through.
- Because you’re great at multi-tasking you can add your cooked potatoes into the warm frypan along with butter, garlic, rosemary and a sprinkle of salt. When the potatoes have gathered a nice golden crust, add the steak back in to warm through.
- To serve, cut the steak in thick slices and onto a warm plate, spoon a generous portion of sauce across the steak and nestle broccolini in at one side. Serve your potatoes separately so they retain their crunch.